Monday, October 3, 2011

Musical Musings

So I had a nearly sleepless night on Friday. Again. I thought the worst of my insomnia was behind me, but apparently it's lingering. One of the benefits of having an Android is being able to browse YouTube in bed, which I did until I decided to give up and just get the fuck up. I proceeded to listen to some of my favourite songs - and discover some new ones - until about 2 a.m. I figured since I wasn't sleeping anyway, y'all might as well get something out of it, so I put together this post. Plus writing often makes me sleepy. So here you go.

1. 
Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks (Acoustic)
J. showed me this on Friday and I loved it - though I only really like the acoustic version. I had it stuck in my head all day Saturday, so it must be good.



2. 
Plan B - Prayin'
I re-discovered this album (The Defamation of Strickland Banks) last week and it has pretty much been the only thing stopping me from kicking the living crap out of someone on the bus. So thank you, Plan B, your song about killing someone stopped me from doing just that.



3. 
Incubus - Drive (Acoustic)
If I absolutely had to pick a favourite song of all time, this might very well be it. I never get sick of listening to it and I even like the lyrics. If you haven't heard it before there's something seriously wrong with you, enjoy.



4. 
Atmosphere - The Best Day
While "Drive" is possibly my favourite song, Atmosphere is my favourite group. This is who I recommend to people who don't think hip-hop can be poetry. I listened to this song a lot back in the Spring, and it cheered me up on unseasonably drab days. It also fits my general cock-eyed optimism about accepting the crappiness of real life.



5.
Staind - Outside (Acoustic)
Yes, another acoustic. Seeing a trend here? This one is a throwback. You know, that phase everyone goes through as a teenager where you feel all alienated from everyone because no one could possibly understand how complicated and unique you are. Don't try and deny it, you all know what I'm talking about.



6.
People Under the Stairs - San Francisco Knights
The first time I came across PUTS was in a graffiti movie that had this song was the soundtrack for the opening credits. I fell in love the second the beats hit. They've got lots of great songs, but this one will always be my favourite.



7. 
Mutemath - No Response (Live)
Granted this isn't a very good quality recording, but just look at the drums! Pretty impressive, huh?



8.
Foo Fighters - Pretender
Another throwback song - this is one of the best songs to play when you need to let off steam. Though I'm never quite sure what's happening in the music video, it's visually stunning. Also apparently J. looks like Dave Grohl. (Though it's mostly the beard.)



9.
Adele - Hometown Glory (High Contrast Remix)
Believe it or not, this was the first exposure I had to Adele. It was on the Misfits soundtrack (if you haven't watched the Misfits yet, you really should. Aside from being an awesome show, the soundtrack introduced me to some of my all-time favourite music).



10.
Nirvana - Come As You Are Unplugged in New York
Everyone from my generation loves Nirvana. EVERYONE. So it's not exactly original, but it is damn good. Unplugged in New York was the first Nirvana album I ever owned (on cassette tape. Yes, I am that old.) and has so many memories associated with it. I can't listen to it without being transported to a 14-year-old me. Which is both good and very awkward.



11.
Common - Come Close (Ft. Mary J. Blige)
Just because it's really sweet, and occasionally I do like a little bit of romance... Also I think Mary J. is gorgeous. (Common ain't bad either.)



12. 
Florence + The Machine - What the Water Gave Me
We've all been waiting with bated breath to hear what Florence would do next - this is it. For those of you who don't know, Florence and Adele are two British songstresses with voices that are out of this world. Both incredibly powerful, they get under your skin and stay there.



13.
Adele - Rolling in the Deep (Live)
Okay, so here's Adele un-mixed. I love this video, not only because this song is fantastic (seriously, who doesn't love it?), but also because if you watch her facial expressions you can see that despite her angelic voice, this gal has attitude.



That's it! Hope this cheered up a mopey Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...