Friday, May 4, 2012

RIP MCA

Sad news - today hip hop lost one of its brightest stars. Adam Yauch (better known as MCA) of the Beastie Boys passed away at the age of 47. He has been fighting cancer since 2009.

I find myself feeling both sad and nostalgic. It is perhaps no coincidence that I feel like the music of the Beastie Boys has been around in the back and foreground for most of my life, considering that MCA first took the stage with the Beastie Boys (then a punk group) in the year I was born. Not only has his music and showmanship provided hours of entertainment, but he used his celebrity to support causes he believed in - most notably as an organizer of the Tibetan Freedom concerts.

The Beastie Boys' newest (and final) album as a trio was released  yesterday. Here's an awesome video for the first single, featuring a whole slew of really famous people:




RIP, MCA. You will be missed.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sad times. They were awesome together & this new song is pretty bad ass.

    I remember seeing the stills for this video last year & thinking it was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm actually surprised at how sad it made me. And it's tragic to think that there won't be any more new Beasties. Plus his voice was my favourite.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...